I want to live in the Philippines

Getting Philippine Citizenship for your child born abroad

I got an e-mail this morning from Joseph.  Joseph wants to live in the Philippines, and wonders about citizenship issues.

Gift Baskets at WowPhilippines
Joseph wants to live in the Philippines

Joseph wants to live in the Philippines

Here is what Joseph had to say:

Hi Bob,

I am tired of life in America and I want to relocate to the Philippines.  Can you tell me how to become a citizen of the Philippines so that I can live there?

Well, Joseph, thank you for writing.  There are a couple things we need to discuss.

Firstly, you do not need to be a citizen of the Philippines to live here.  In fact, at this point of your life you cannot qualify for Philippine Citizenship.  You need to move here and live here for a while before you can even consider citizenship.

How can you live here?  Go over and take a look at our Sister Site, Your Philippine Visa.  You can stay here on a Resident Visa, a Balikbayan Visa or a Tourist Visa.  If you are married to a Filipino, or former Philippine Citizen you can qualify for any of those visas.  If you are not married to somebody from the Philippines, you can qualify only for a tourist visa which will allow you to stay here up to 16 months at a time.

If you do want to become a Philippine Citizen, you must meet the requirements for naturalization.  The most important in your case is that you must live here 10 years before you can apply, or if you are married to a Filipina you can apply after living here for 5  years.  There are other requirements too, but just remember you must live here for a while before you may apply for Citizenship.

Good luck to you Joseph.  I hope your new life in the Philippines is a good one.

Comments

1. Lyn says

hi bob! i’m sorry to say that foreigners do not qualifyfor a balikbayan visa and bb or tourist cnnot lead to citizenship. only permanent residents who live,and work here for 10years, own property, and speak filipino. i thought you do not own property, work, or speak filipino bob? ho do u qualify? keep upthe great work!

• says

Hello Lyn – I am sorry, but you are not quite correct. If a foreigner enters the Philippines with his spouse who is a Philippine Citizen or former Philippine Citizen, he will be issued a Balikbayan Visa. I have plenty of Balikbayan Visas stamped in my passport to prove that.

I am indeed qualified to be a Philippine Citizen, if I apply. I have been living in the Philippines for 12 years on a Resident Visa (13g). My wife and I own property on Samal Island. I speak Cebuano fluently, which also qualifies (it is not only Filipino which qualifies).

Take care.

• lyn says

hi bob. as a philippine language of course cebuano is acceptable(i didnt know u were fluent! )
        if your condo is fully paid off now and only in your name you are ok. also,i thought u do not have a job? thanks again bob. btwwe are offereing visa services that are cheap and not fixers do u accept partnerships on your website. thx!

• says

No worries, Lyn, I have already consulted an attorney, and I am fully qualified to be a citizen of the Philippines. By the way, don’t have a condo. My wife and I own some land on Samal Island.

• lyn says

hi. thanks again. if u r not a citizen, how do u own land? the laws are forever changing. sometmes foreigners know thngs we dont know! thanks again!

• says

The ownership is under my wife’s name, she is a citizen. As we are a couple, my attorney assures me that there is no problem. Thanks for your concern, but I really have already gotten legal advice and do not need further assistance.

• james smyth says

Hi just to add that bob is right , I am married to a Philippines lady 5 years we are both now British and I entered the Philippines together on April last year and I was issued right away, “with no hassle on the spot”, a Balikbayan Visa for one year , renewable I live in Bangkok now and know I can return to the Philippines at will, as my wife is Filipino.

2. Leandro says

Bob, you’re right about the qualifications to become eligible for Philippine citizenship. I wish you well for all the decisions you’ll make in the future.

3. vinay says

sir i am indian passport holder ;- i have fiance in Philippine so i want marry and settle there so which visa i apply to come there and after which visa i apply for permanent citizenship , what is procedure step by step*?

4. srikanth says

hi this is srikanth.
    iam an engineer.iam looking forward to relocate to phillipines.
    iam a valid indian citizen(passport holder).
    my dream is to settledown in phillipines.
    iam trying hard to get a job in phillipines.even i do have few friends in manila.
    they are saying that they will find a gril for me to marry in phillipines.
    what would be the best way to relocte to phillipines.

regards,
    srikanth

Hello srikanth,

Probably the easiest thing you could do is to get married here and then apply for a 13(a) resident visa, and with that you can live here for the rest of your life.

If you are interested in living in the Philippines, but you need a source of income, getting a job here is generally not the way to go. Firstly, most companies are not looking to hire foreigners. Secondly, you probably won’t want to work for the kind of wages offered here, usually only a few dollars per day.

To help out people like you, I have written a book called “49 Ways to earn a living in the Philippines” and I cover ideas of all sorts on how you can earn a good living while living in the Philippines. I have been earning my living here since 2000, and I earn more money now than when I lived in the States. So, I know that I can help you do that too!

To check out the book, go to:

As a special offer to you, I am going to offer you $10 off the book, but the offer is good for only the next 24 hours. During checkout, just enter the coupon code – 10discountToday – and the book will be $10 off the regular price. But, remember, the discount expires after 24 hours.

Check it out today, I am sure that this is what you are looking for, if you want to live in the Philippines!

Good luck to you, my friend.

• hector says

Surprised me that you can become citizen of Philippines….according to BI…only people can become citizen are “Asians” or if you can proof blood connection with Philippines???????

After 10 yrs of permanent residency…you go back to square one…tourist.

Philippines has turned into an ecological disaster…..garbage every where, forest are now to 5% only as well as coral-reefs.

Business…well if you doing well sooner or later someone will knock on your door…demanding….share….you WHO?%$#@*

Prices here are going un and food quality produce here it’s marginal…so if you are on special diet…watch-out…here the truth don’t exist…everything and anything cost money…specially if you are a outsider…good luck

5. says

hi , iv been here for three mouths now ,and of corase know what i expected. filipina gf ,and familly very nice , but you know w planed to marry but gf became reluctant, so i post pone the wedding till later date , she became very happy about that you think its because theres no devorise in the P.I.but say if i go ahead with marriage and get residents visa if we split up will i still keep my statuso or will have to start imagration thing again ?i really love it here but present living status not what i had in mined for retirment???

• says

Hello Donald, you will keep your status, unless your wife withdraws her sponsorship for you. Even if you are still married and happy, living together, if she withdraws her sponsorship for your resident visa, you will lose it.

• says

hi bob , thanks for the information, i like this site . i’ve been reading other web site on philippines , but fined to many diffrent opions , or if you aren’t talking about something that will boost there income ,than hard to get striat anserws thanks again

6. mitch says

hi bob,
    me and my husband are planning to live in the philippines for good,im a filipino and my husband is american.what are the process for him to stay/live in the philippines?what are the things we need to do as soon as we arrive in the philippines?ive read alot of sites about living in philippines but still confuse on what to do.why does he need a round trip ticket if were planning in staying for good in philippines?i hope u can help me with all this confusions.

thnx alot,
    mitch

• says

Hi Mitch – Since you are a Philippine Citizen, your husband would qualify for a 13(a) Resident Visa. You should contact that Philippine Embassy or the Consulate that serves the area where you live, they will provide you with an application for the 13(a) visa. With this visa your husband can live permanently in the Philippines. I would recommend that you do this before coming to the Philippines, rather than after you arrive.

If you get the 13(a) Visa, he does not need an ongoing airline ticket. If he enters on a tourist visa then he must have an ongoing ticket. If he does not get the 13(a) visa, you should request a Balikbayan Visa upon entry to avoid the need for an ongoing ticket.

Good luck to you.

7. Neil Navales says

Hi Bob,

From the time I was an infant I have been coming to the Philippines every year. When I hit college I attended college here where I met my current fiance. We have been together for 7 years now and were officially engaged this past January 2013. With this current trip, I have been here for almost 2 years now always updating and extending my tourist visa. I believe 2 years is the maximum now. Our plan is to get married as soon as we can but time is running short before my 2 years is up. I will be applying for Marriage to a Filipina where I will be on probation for 1 year at which time I can apply for Permanent Resident. Here is my thought since time is running short and I don’t think we can get married right away. Can my fiancee and I leave to a nearby country and come back wherein I can obtain a Balikbayan Visa being we are engaged already or does that only count if we are already married. I really don’t want to have to leave the country at all if possible as we have our 3 month old son as well as I don’t want to pay for a ticket from the States. Do you have any suggestions? Would me going to college here back in the 90’s be of any help to me? I’m open to anything where I would not have to leave at all.

Thanks in advance Bob! Enjoy your evening!

Very respectfully,

Neil Navales

• Neil Navales says

Also. I am not eligible for Recognition of Philippine Citizenship as only my mother was a Philippine Citizen at the time of my birth which was 1971. Immigration has informed me that my father should be a Philippine Citizen at the time of my birth.

Thanks Bob!

Neil again.

• says

I am sorry, Neil, but you are not eligible for a Balikbayan Visa until you and your fiance are married. The only suggestion I can make is to get married sooner, or keep on doing the tourist visa thing…

Good luck to you.

8. Geromybob says

Hi mate

I have a question

I want to go to the Philippines to get married to my gf. I plan on staying 2 years there. And I don’t know what type of visa etc I would apply for. If I do go to the Philippines intending to stay longer than 21 days would I be able to only take a one way flight or does it have to be to return too.

My gf has rice mill machines and land and a few businesses there. Will this help for a long term stay?? I would like to work with her in these businesses as I have funded them and this is our shared idea. What would I do to get a visa to allow this. (I am a UK citizen)

My gf is married to a foreigner who vowed that he would never divorce her. The have been separated for many years now. I know I wouldn’t be able to marry her like this unless and annulment takes place. But she is a Muslim now so is she able to get a divorce that?

• says

Hello Geromybob – Actually, you can stay up to 2 years on a tourist visa, if you get permission from the BI Commissioner. You will be able to extend your tourist visa for a minimum of 16 months, and 24 months if you obtain permission.

As for taking a one way flight, that is not possible on a tourist visa. There are cheap ways to get around this, though. I have an eBook that will explain this all to you, and show you ways that you can avoid needing the extra ticket for as little as a cost of $20. You can check out the eBook here.

Be very careful in getting involved with a married woman in the Philippines. It could land you in prison.

• M A Hamad says

Hello

Just 2 comments 1-If she converted to Islam ( Really )she can’t marry you if you are not Muslim !
      2-Those Kind of very hurting problems and awkward living situations shows why Islam gave the permission to divorce (although it is the most hated Halal -allowed-practice in Islam ,and divorce between Muslims still lower than other believers of religions and regulations that doesn’t allow divorce .

9. LJ says

Hi Bob! Thanks for all the info you put into your website! I appreciate it. It helps me a lot in understanding our choices. I am a Filipino married to a U.S citizen and we’re planning to live there when he retires. You mentioned about 13(a) Permanent resident Visa he can apply for, which will let him stay in the Philippines but he will not be able to buy a property on his name, my first question is, would he atleast be able to own guns? Now about the Naturalization process, of him losing his U.S Citizenship, isnt there any possibility of applying for a dual citizenship, having both American and Filipino Citizenship? I will be waiting for your answer whenever you feel like answering. :) Thank you so much Bob! :))

• says

Hi LJ – No, he cannot legally own guns.

He is eligible for Dual Citizenship (USA and Philippines) only if he was born as a Philippine Citizen. If he has never been a Philippine citizen, he is not eligible to be a dual citizen. He would have to give up his US citizenship in order to be a Philippine Citizen.

• LJ says

Thank you for the reply! :) I have read in some articles that The US does not perceive the renouncing as being a clear intent to abandon US Citizenship.

That the only way you can lose it is to: 1)Be found guilty for treason, 2)Serving in a military army that is an enemy of the US and 3) verbally stating your intention before a US Counselor. is there any truth to this? Thank you and have a good day! :)

• says

Yes, LJ, I am familiar with US law ans policy regarding renouncing citizenship. I am also familiar with Philippine law. Philippine law requires you to renounce your former citizenship. It does not say to “kind of” renounce, or to renounce in a way that “doesn’t count.” Is it really a good idea to become a citizen of a different country and your first act, obtaining citizenship, is done in an illegal way? Personally, I think not. If your husband thinks that is the right thing to do, that is his decision.

10. Richard Xiong says

Hi, I am a high school graduated from USA and I want to know if I could live in Philippine with my finance, she’s a Philippine citizen. We just meet not long ago, then we are planning to meet there in the next few months. I’m not so sure what to do, because I don’t speak the language there and I don’t really have that much money to support my finance if I gonna live there with her. I need some help how to live there as a foreigner.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for writing.

If you want to move to the Philippines, there are many things to find out about, and to do in preparation for the move. I have come up with a series of electronic books that will provide you with all of the information that you will need to make the move easy and smooth. There are a total of 31 eBooks in the set, you can find out about each title at my website: How to Move to the Philippines. http://HowToMoveToThePhilippines.com

I have a special deal that I want to let you know about, though. The books are $7.99 each, but that can add up if you want the whole set. Because of that, I have a special package that includes all of the books, 31 titles in all. You can get the entire package, which I call the PH Pro Package, for just $49. I can offer you the PH Pro package for a special discount price of $10 off for the next 24 hours though. When you are buying the books, just use this coupon code during the checkout: Move2PH10 Keep in mind, though, this coupon code is only valid for the next 24 hours for your purchase.

You can find the PH Pro package here:

I really believe that this package of books will give you all the information you need to make it a successful move. If you have other questions that you don’t find answered in the books, though, you can e-mail me any time for a personal response to your question.

11. neil mcgregor says

Hi Bob

After reading your advise on this site i was much better informed about what to do as far as myself and my gf will do next we love each other so much ,and cant wait to be together ,so this is just a thank you for your help ,
    ps will be intouch and would like to buy some books from you

Regards Neil

12. angel says

hi bob
    hi bob can u help me my bf want to stay here in philippines but we dont no how were not yet married and we cant do it becoz im still married with my exhusband??

• says

Hello Angel – About the only choice your BF has is to stay here on a tourist visa and keep renewing it. He will have to leave the country every 16 months as well, under that type of visa.

I would strongly advise both you and your bf to be cautious about this. Your husband can bring charges against both you and your bf, and you could both end up in jail, if your husband wishes to press charges for adultery.

13. Althea Bautista says

I am a Norwegian citizen now, but I was born here in the Philippines with Filipino parents. And I am married to a Filipino as well. I`ve been staying here for almost a year with the BB visa. It may sound stupid, but Im clueless as to what visa I can apply for? I cant apply for a dual citizen since Norwegian law doesn’t accept dual citizen. Does anyone know how and what visa I can qualify for? I would be forever thankful……

14. Gayner says

I’d like to move to the Philippines. I have a good job but not with a global company that will allow me a chance at transferring. I am manager at a trucking terminal and taught special education for 5 years. With experience and education in fields that would not justify hiring a foreigner, what are my odds of finding a job and moving with a work visa? I spent 5 months in Mexico several years ago to learn Spanish. I loved it and hate I return to my same-ole, same-ole routine here. I had trouble finding a real job because I wasn’t a Mexican citizen. I’m 40 and not wealthy so I have to know I had a job before I could think of quitting my current one. Any advise would be gratefully appreciated.

Hi Gayner,

Thanks for writing.

Finding a job will be quite difficult, but that does not mean that you cannot earn a living. I am an American who moved to the Philippines at the age of 38 and have been living here for 13 years now. I have no job, but have actually found that is is quite easy to earn money here, and in my books which I detail below, I tell you how to do that.

You can find the PH Pro package here:

15. chris says

hi Bob..glad to found your site…i am from Malaysia and planned to move in phil..my husband is from cagayan de oro.but my story is a bit complicated..frankly speaking, my husband were born in phil and he got his phil birth certificate but he grew up in Malaysia..Due to hard life there had here..around 2001 his parent move back to phil and left him behind without any malaysian legal paper..now, we married but can’t register our contract marriage as he don’t have any paper except his phil birth certificate that we just receive fro his parents. We had a 6month son and don’t have birth certificate yet because of my husband paper’s problem..can you suggest me what is our next step so that we can move there immediately..thanks

• says

Hi Chris – Wow, that sounds like a tough situation. I wish I can help, but I don’t know anything at all about Malaysian law, so I don’t know what to tell you. Good luck.

16. says

HI BOB
    I AM FROM THE UK AND I HAVE A FILOPINO LADY WHO I AM ON THE VERGE OF MARRYING
    I HAVE TO GO TO THE UK TO PICK UP A POLICE CLEARANCE FORM AND A REGISTRATION FORM THEN I HOPE TO MARRY I AM TOLD I HAVE TO BE IN THE PHILLIPINES FOR21 DAYS BEFORE WE CAN MAKE ANOTHER APPOINTMENT ALL I HAVE TO DO IS PROVIDE THOSE 2 ITEM AND MY WIFE HAS TO PRODUCE HER HUSBANDS DEATH CERTIFICATE I HAVE AN ENGLISH PENSION TO SUPPORT MYSELF AND MY WIFE AND SHE HAS A POLICE PENSION SO MONEY WONT BE A PPROBLEM

17. joe says

Hi bob, my friend (malaysians) would like to know if he (catholic) can register his marriage under civil registry to his malaysian muslim gf in Philippines as this inter faith marriage is not allowed in Malaysia? If yes, can u pls tell him the process.. it will be of great help…. thx in advance. ..

18. Jeet says

Hi,

i am an indian and i have a filipina gf and we love each other a lot. we have decided to get married and make a happy family in philippines and i want to know the procedure to get married to a filipina. Can i get married on tourist visa?? how would i get the citizenship of philippines??

19. jes says

Hi Bob, and all your visitors! The simple way to stay is through PRA philippine retirement authority. pra.gov.ph For time deposit in your name of $20k or 50 you get rhe visa.their program had changed since i got it, bur the money can be used to buy a condo. Advantage, no reporting to bi and no departure tax ,no need to get married and valid if you are not! Works for me. Btw, you can qualify to get citizenship after 5 Years if you work as techer. Greets jes

• says

Hi Jes – Thanks for sharing. I personally believe that a 13 series resident visa is a far better way to go. We all have our preferences, though, and if the SRRV is better for you, all I can say is enjoy.

20. kiran Tapasi says

Hi bob,
    im kiran & im an indian i have a girlfriend in philippines i love her & she loves me a lot we hav decided to marry & i wanna stay in philippines for the rest of my life….. what type of visa is required & what are ur suggestions???? please im really serious about this matter….. if i have a tourist visa how long can i stay there??? please help :(

21. Mike says

Hi Bob,

Thanks for all the timely information concerning moving to the Philippines. I’m definitely considering ordering your 31 E-Book Special Package, it looks awesome !! My question pertains to my filipina girl friend, who I have been chatting with on Skype for one year now. She is still married, although her husband left her four years ago to move in with a woman he got pregnant. Since an annulment would be very costly and time-consuming, we were considering living together when I visit her this year. Presently I live in the United States. I guess I would be able to continuously renew a tourist Visa, or apply for a SRRV Visa. I noticed you said in previous comments that the woman’s husband can file adultery charges against us and I was wondering if that applies since he is already living with another woman. Also, if my girl friend applies for separation papers would that nullify any adultery allegations? thanks in advance !! Mike

• says

Hi Mike – Be very, very careful. Living with a married woman here is illegal for both you and her. If the husband files a case you will both end up in jail. It does not matter if he left her or how many years it has been, if they are still married, you are breaking the law by entering into a relationship with her. Separation papers does not annul the marriage, and are irrelevant, you will still end up in jail if he complains about you living with her.

If you decide to live here, yes, you can do a Tourist Visa or an SRRV. Recent changes in the law now allow you to stay up to 3 years on a tourist visa Read about it here.

• Mike says

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your speedy reply, and link for recent changes there. If I understand you correctly it would be difficult for the husband to file adultery charges as long as my filipina gf and I not living together. It would be okay to date, and she could sometimes sleep over but if she has her own residence then her and I should be safe from adultery charges? Thanks in advance, Mike

• says

Sorry,  but I never said any such thing.

All I can say at this point is that you are playing with fire.  It is up to you to decide if that is a game you wish to play.

• Mike says

Thanks Bob,
            I appreciate your candor !! I guess she would have to get an annulment to prevent a charge of adultery. And, from what I understand annulments are very expensive, and time-consuming there. You have saved me from potential disaster, and hopefully anyone else in my situation who reads this column too !!

22. Mike says

Hi Bob,

After some further research I discovered Philippine House Bill 5734 (Act Defining the Crime of Sexual Infidelity) was approved and enacted into law on April 23, 2012. It’s my understanding, under this House Bill the offended party (husband) can no longer file adultery charges against the alleged offender(s) if the former is also guilty of sexual infidelity or had abandoned the guilty spouse without just cause for more than one year. This might be something foreigners may want to check into before living with a filipina woman in the Philippines. thanks again, Mike

• says

Hi Mike – It sounds like you have not spent much, if any, time in the Philippines before. Maybe you don’t understand how things work here. The laws, as written on paper may not work the way they say on paper.

The advice I have given you previously is 100% spot on, regardless of what the words on paper say.

All I can say to you is good luck, I hope you don’t experience the difficulties that others have.

Hello Luther,

Thanks for writing.

You can find the PH Pro package here:

23. Nathan says

Hi there, I’m a soon to be 21 year old English male, and I would love to live in the Philippines for a period of a few years probably working if I could help it, can you offer any advice on steps I could take visa’s, the sort of work I may have to resort to and just any tips for a beginner traveller?

• says

Hi Nathan – Thanks for stopping by and for leaving your comment. This site is more about getting Philippine Citizenship. It doesn’t sound like that is what you are aiming to do. My recommendation would be to visit two of my other sites and read up.

1. For Visa Issues, read this site: Your Philippine Visa
      2. For general information about living in the Philippines – Live in the Philippines

24. Brede Flem says

An american citizen who want to become a filipino must be a joke? Iam an european and i never heard about anybody who wants to change their citizenship into filipino?

Why, you want to save the money for visa, ore you want to own land i your one name?

This is stupidity and i am glad that you have to live in the Philippines a few year before you can become a citizen. Then you hopefully are more mature and have other perspectives in your life.

25. jho says

hi my husband (us citizen) and I (fil have a resident visa here in US) Weve been married for 7 years in the philippines and were planning to move there when he file a disability.My questions are:
    Can he retire there when he file disability?
    Do i need to apply usa citizenship and dual citizenship?
    Can we own properties and bussiness there if he file a disability?
    What we should do? i appreciate your responds to all questions thank u so much!

• says

As far as I know, he should have no problem living here after filing disability.

He cannot own properties or a business here, as he is not a citizen. You could own then in your name.

Good luck to both of you.

26. daniel says

hi bob

i want to ask you im a former filipino citizen but currently im living here in u.k now im a british citizen now and im planning to go back to philippines ,my question can i stay in the for a long period let say about 10 yrs ,without coming back to uk am i gonna lose my british citizenship or not ?tnx please reply

• says

As a former Philippine Citizen, the longest you could stay in the Philippines is 4 years. You would be able to do that by entering on a Balikbayan Visa, which is good for 1 year, then at the end of the year you convert to a tourist visa, which can be extended up to 3 additional years. Lots of fees to pay for visa extensions and such.

What you should do is obvious… why not apply for Dual Citizenship. When you do that you can stay as long as you want… even forever.

You will never lose your British Citizenship no matter how long you stay away. Even if you never return again, you will still remain a British Citizen.

• daniel says

ah ok bob you mean its better to apply dual citizenship ,i thought i have to come back before every 2 years here in uk to maintain my citizenship ,thank you for confirming that to me ,i live in davao city and you are living in samal island ,and its nice to hear that you are enjoying your living in philippines mate :)

• says

Hi Daniel – Actually, I don’t live on Samal, never have. You might have me confused with somebody else. I live in Davao City. My wife and I do own some land on Samal, but we don’t live there. :-) Take care.

27. David says

Hi Bob …. i am from the uk i intend to marry my fiancee between the end of AUG to early SEPT .. WE own 2 plots of land which are not that big but one plot is where we have a piggery and the other is where we stay ,,,, i was retired through ill health , now i had a lump sum which has almost gone now but the piggery can bring us an income off around 250,000 in philippine currancy or more a year what are my chances of staying in the philippines for the rest of my days my fiancee is also 16wks pregnant … but when Typhoon Glenda hit it destroyed most of the piggery so the money we had saved went back into the repairs

• says

I think it is still likely that you can live in the Philippines. Once you are married you are eligible to apply for a 13a visa. There are financial requirements too, but they are not so major. If you can generate an income of P250k from the piggery you should be able to meet the financial tests.

• David says

Cheers Bob …. just wish they would sort out the power supply over there most parts are still without power since Glenda hit …. and there is a 3rd Typhoon to hit the eastern side which could be moving in friday onwards.. ..any ways thanx again for your help …all the best and stay safe

28. says

I am married to a Philippina for 4 years now. We moved from the US here last Oct 1.

Do I have to go to Manila to upgrade my status before Oct 1?

I was told that they have changed the law here now so you do not have to report to Immigration in
    Manila for 3 years instead of one year. Is that true? Thanks. Mike.

29. D.Ward says

From Texas…September 5th 2014..arrival at Phil tentative plans…first moving to Phil to retire.. marry asap..and to live…what visa do I need to apply for in this process and how soon should I apply for marriage application…all other papers are correct and in order…proof income $1207 a month. pension…also I do not want to lose my USA citizenship….any steps in order for heads up you can pass on to me…Thanks

D.Ward _Texan

Hello D.,

You didn’t really mention if you already have a bride here or if you are going to be looking for one. But, how soon you should apply for the marriage license is just a personal choice. After you marry you can then apply for your 13a resident visa. About the only thing that you didn’t mention, which you will need in order to get the resident visa is a police clearance report from the FBI. Really, about your only choice when you are coming, since you are yet to marry, is to just accept the tourist visa waiver that is issued at the airport upon your arrival, that can be extended for up to 3 years stay.

You can find the PH Pro package here:

30. marj says

dear bob,
    its nice to find your site.
    i have a US citizen bf who i havent seen in person but we were in a relationship for few years now through skype and emails. he is planning to finally go here in the phils once he reached retirement age and marry me and stay here for good. will he be allowed to stay longer here as it may take a while for the wedding processes or he might have to leave and go back again as he wants that if he goes here he wont be going back to US anymore but wont give up his citizenship. thanks.